Most people start walking or exercising because they want to get fit or lose weight but when the focus is on changing the body shape/size and hence long-term results (this is diet mentality), it is very hard to motivate yourself to keep it up every day. Not to mention, you’re missing out on the many almost instant benefits of walking when you’re focused on your goal only. With a Feel Good Mindset, we take our eye off the prize and focus on what feels good now.
Here are 5 Feel Good reasons, all backed by science, to start walking:
- Walking increases creative output by an average of 60% by opening the free flow of ideas. This means that you will be better able to solve problems and come up with creative ideas and solutions after you’ve been for a walk. You’ll also be more productive (because you solve all those problems faster) and the quality of your work improves. So if you’re really busy and stressed, go for a walk and see what happens!
- Just 12 minutes of walking results in an increase in joviality, vigour, attentiveness and self-confidence. You simply will feel better after a walk!
- Walking in nature, specifically, reduces negative thinking and lowers your risk of depression. For me, my mental health is the best reason for me to get out the door and walk in a park near me or drive to the beach or a nature trail. When you look after your mental health first, it becomes far easier to look after your physical health as well.
- Walking improves memory and prevents the deterioration of brain tissue as we age. What’s more important than a well-functioning brain?
- A 10-minute walk is as good as a 45-minute workout when it comes to relieving symptoms of anxiety and boosting mood. Isn’t that amazing? Just 10 minutes makes a huge difference. That’s why, if you’re a complete beginner, there’s no need to push yourself, just a 10-minute walk in the evening will get you started. As you start feeling better and better, you’ll want to do more, so take it one step at a time and focus on feeling good.
If you’re ready to get off the couch and start walking, please join my next WalkFit course which starts on Monday 7th November. This 5-week course will get you moving and I promise you that you’ll enjoy the process! Read more here